No-Egg Chocolate Spice Nut Cake
– by Jean Fisher
This recipe is great for those times when you have apples and milk that need used up, but no eggs! Chocolate, nuts and spice with the moistness of applesauce is truly delicious.
4 small apples
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 squares unsweetened baker's chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup oatmeal
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 cup sour milk
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 can chocolate frosting (16 ounces)
Browse the Recipe Directories
Complete Meal Recipes
|30 Minute Meals||Convenience Foods Recipes|
|Low-Carb Meals||Low-Fat Recipes|
|Lunch Ideas||Low-Sodium Meals|
From kitchen to table in
- Pare and core apples and cut into small pieces. Place in a small saucepan along with sugar and cover with water.
- Turn heat on to medium high and cook until the water starts to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until apples are tender (about 30 minutes).
- Grease and flour two round cake pans. Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- Pour apples into a large mixing bowl. Add oil and use and electric mixer to blend.
- Melt chocolate in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Add to apples and oil along with spices, oatmeal, flour, baking powder and milk. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed until blended.
- Add chopped nuts and blend into batter with a wooden spoon. Pour half of the batter into each of the round cake pans. Place in hot oven.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the layers comes out cleans.
- Remove from pans and cool. Frost the flat side of one layer. Place second layer on top, curved side up. Frost the sides and then the top. Slice and serve.