My Sister Peggy's Birthday Cake!
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1cup flaked coconut
non-stick cooking spray
Pecan Cream Cheese Frosting
6 ounces pecans
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 pound powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray three 9
inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Separate eggs. Set egg whites aside.
Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl along with
butter and sugar. Beat with
an electric mixer first on slow and then on medium speed until creamy.
- Add buttermilk and continue mixing until
- Dump flour on top of
mixture. Sprinkle baking soda over flour.
Blend flour and baking soda into batter with
electric mixer on slow speed.
- Blend coconut into batter with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Clean beaters with soapy water and rinse
well. In a clean bowl, beat egg whites on
high speed until peaks begin to form.
- Blend egg whites into batter with spatula or
- Pour batter into cake pans and place in hot
oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until a
toothpick inserted into the center comes out
- While cake is baking, chop 2/3 of the pecans.
Spread pecans evenly over a baking sheet, both
chopped and halves. When cake comes
out of oven, toast pecans in hot
oven for 5 minutes. Remove and let
- Allow cake to cool completely then remove from cake pans.
Place cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl.
With electric beaters, blend first on slow then medium speed until
creamy. Continue mixing while pouring powdered sugar into bowl.
- Spread frosting on the top of one layer. Sprinkle half the
chopped nuts over the frosting. Lay second layer on first layer and
spread frosting over top. Sprinkle with remaining chopped nuts.
Lay third layer on second layer. Frost the sides and then the
top. Garnish with pecan halves.
Find more recipes in our weekly newsletter
Italian Cream Cake
Mashed Potato Candy
Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Bars
Glazed Zucchini Cake
Chocolate Chip and Almond Biscotti