Change the Serving Size
6 ounces dry red beans
2 cups water
1/4 cup lime juice
1 ounce onion
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
8 ounces fresh tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 dash cumin
1 dash Italian seasonings
1/4 cup shredded colby cheese
10 ounces tuna canned in water
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon & 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
2 ounces celery
2 tablespoons olive oil
From kitchen to table in
- Rinse dry beans well checking for any grit that might
have been packaged with the beans. Place in a saucepan
and cover with water and lime juice. Chop onions and
- Turn burner on to high and heat beans until water is
boiling. Cover and reduce heat to the lowest setting.
Cook for 5 hours stirring once or twice each hour and adding
more water if necessary to keep beans completely covered.
- At the end of 5 hours cooking time, drain cooked beans
in a colander. Return them to the pan and add fresh
water to just cover beans.
- Dice tomatoes and add to beans along with canned tomatoes. Sprinkle pepper,
cumin and Italian seasonings over the top and stir.
Cook over medium-low heat for another 30 minutes, stirring
frequently and adding small amounts of water if necessary.
- Drain tuna and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whip eggs, mayonnaise and spicy
mustard together. Add tuna and mix again.
- Chop celery and add to tuna along with pepper.
Stir to blend.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, transfer tuna to skillet.
Flatten into patties using a pancake turner.
- Cook tuna cakes until they are brown and crispy on one
side. Flip and brown second side.
- Serve with sliced fruit and cheese-topped beans.